Tarragona & Sitges a full-day excursion to discover the Roman legacy of Tarragona and the picturesque fishing village of Sitges.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE?
- 8 HOURS.
WHAT IS INCLUDED
- A private licensed guide only for your party.
- Transportation at the Chauffered tour.
- Priority access at all the sights
WHAT IT IS NOT INCLUDED
- Entrance fees to sites (you can pay them the day of the tour).
- Taxis and transportation at the walking tour.
Tarragona is located about 100 km south of Barcelona.
Ancient “Tarraco” was the residence of Roman Emperor Caesar Augustus from 27 BC to 25 BC, and became a colony in Roman Hispania, reaching a population of over 30,000. In fact, in Roman times, Tarragona was larger, more important, and more imposing than Barcelona. The predominance of Barcelona came later during the Middle Ages.
On the way to Tarragona, we will stop to see an incredible structure up close: the Aqueduct of Ferreres where 2,000 years ago the water that supplied the whole population of the city ran. The aqueduct is built entirely in stone and you will get the chance to walk across it. This is a unique opportunity and well worth a visit.
In Tarragona, we will see:
- the remains of the robust Roman wall,
- the Amphitheater where gladiator fights took place, together with shows with wild animals.
- the Roman Circus where chariot races took place, like those in the movie Ben-Hur; the Circus could accommodate up to 25,000 spectators, almost the total population of Tarraco.
We will also stroll through the historic center of Tarragona, through its history-laden streets, stopping to visit the beautiful medieval Cathedral if you wish.
After visiting Tarragona, we will go to Sitges, a beautiful coastal town known for its light that inspired many painters such as Santiago Rusiñol and Ramón Casas. The town is ideal for walking thanks to its pedestrian streets full of history, shops, restaurants, churches, and beaches. There is also a myriad of restaurants where you can try typical Catalan specialties.
We recommend leaving Barcelona no later than 9:00 am to make sure you arrive early enough to see everything and find all the important sights open.
A few more details
- How do I pay for the tour?
- We use Paypal and SumUp ( you do not need to have an account, you can pay with any credit card). You can pay for the tickets on the same day as the tour.
- Do I have to buy the tickets?
- No, we will take care of buying the tickets for you.
- Where do we meet?
- The guide and the driver will pick you up at your hotel or apartment.
- Additional fees per person.
- 8 Euros Tarragona
- Is it kids friendly?
- Yes, discovering the Roman history and a lovely beach town is always fun.
- Do we have Priority access?
- Yes, we have priority access.
- I have some mobility issues.
- It is a tour with a lot of walking involved.
More Day Trips and Excursions from Barcelona
Everything was so easy. We met our guide, Begonia, across the street, which was a perfect spot for a group photo before we bypassed the long lines and entered the temple. Begonia spoke English perfectly, was extremely knowledgeable, and had a great sense of humor. She not only knew all the history and facts about Gaudi and the Sagrada Familia, but she grew up in Barcelona so she was able to give us anecdotes and stories of the temple as well as the Spanish culture. We had several teenagers in our group and she kept them fully engaged throughout the tour. Although I had already visited the Sagrada Familia, I learned so much more being on a private tour, especially with Begonia as our guide.
I can’t say enough positive things about our experience with Carolina and Skip the Line. We were unsure about using a tour guide because we had never used one before, so we waited until we arrived in Barcelona to set something up. They responded immediately and were flexible concerning meeting times. We made an easy payment through PayPal and we were all set up. We met up with Carolina two blocks from where we were staying and she immediately engaged our 6 and 9-year-old kids. We went on to a tour that was incredibly informative from a historical perspective, but also in current events. And, it was great to get the perspective on current events from a local. Carolina was honest AND even-handed. The tour ended with “Certificates of Achievement” in understanding Barcelona for my kids. Skip the Line and Carolina were a highlight of our trip and I highly recommend them.
Best way to start our Trip !!!!
We signed up for the Highlights tour on our first full day in Barcelona and it was the perfect way to start our trip. Carolina was a great and patient guide and she really helped us get our bearings. We saw a few different areas of the city, learned a lot about each neighborhood, and ended up with a great tour of La Sagrada Familia. I highly recommend scheduling a tour with Skip the Line – they were professional, on time, organized and really fun to hang out with!